Mito Marie

Mito Marie
MitoMarie. Yep that's me!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Support Networks

I consider myself to be fairly independent, but I will admit that I rely on my husband a lot. He is the best person in my life, and I owe a lot to him. He gives me strength when I feel like I cannot go any further. He helps me to take care of the house and other tasks that I cannot always handle. He has patience when I am not feeling well. He is strong, steady, and reliable. I know that no matter what he will always be there. Without him, my life would be much harder, and I would be without my best friend.

I think many people with disabilities have a special someone who they rely on for strength, encouragement, and help. What we don't always think about is what we will do if that person is no longer able to help care for us. What happens if they become ill, disabled, or even pass away? We don't like to think about it, but it is something we all need to consider. What will I do if he is suddenly unable to do what he does for me now?
Currently, my husband is recovering from surgery. Luckily, it is a simple surgery that will not cause any major issues, but it got me thinking, what will I do if he is unable to be here one day? You see, my husband has a dangerous job which requires him to put himself in harm's way on a daily basis. When he leaves for work I never know if he will come home at the end of his shift. We aren't in denial about this possibility, and we have talked about it often. We are both mentally prepared to make that sacrifice if necessary, but am I physically prepared? This situation has gotten me thinking. Will I be ready?

We all need a support system. We need a network of people, a community of individuals who can support us when needed. If you don't have that support system then reach out. There are multiple agencies and networks out there to help individuals in need. If you are religious, seek support from your church community or your spiritual advisors. Make new friends through a community club or activity that interests you. It is never too late to make new friends, and these friends can be a significant source of support in times of need in the future. I have learned that once I was able to let my guard down a little it was easier to make true relationships that create a stronger bond. There is a certain type of family that comes with my husband's job, and normally I would be the type of person that would not embrace that. I would typically shy away from others involved in that "family" because I would feel different or unacceptable. Since I have learned to let my guard down I have learned that there are people out there that are sincere, and I have formed some very strong bonds that will last a lifetime. I am confident that if, God forbid, one day my husband does not come home, that there are people in my life that I can rely on. Hopefully, you can gain that comfort and support as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment